Thursday, October 1, 2009

Post 5b

I do not think it would be a good idea for parents to hold flash cards in front of their infant to help them develop language. Babies learn language from hearing it, and then they imitate it, although the beginnings of language, such as babbling is universal. Babies will learn language when they are ready. Holding flash cards up to a baby is going way too far. I do not think they would be learning anything from the flash cards, so pretty much they would be pointless. I think Piaget would disagree with the flash card idea because of what his stages suggest. Babies are in the sensorimotor stage where they use their senses to explore their world. I think Piaget would think that flash cards would be a little overboard. He also might say that there comes a time when flash cards might be appropriate, but it is definately not appropriate for a baby.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that babies need to learn language through hearing it instead of the flashcards, but I like how you mentioned that the flashcards could help them at a different stage as they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post. Children learn to read and communicate when they get to a certain point. It is important to let children to develop some on their own when the time is naturally right.

    ReplyDelete