Wednesday, October 21, 2009

POST SEVEN

Vygotsky believed that every part of a child's cognitive development is brought on by social context. He considered children to be apprentices in thinking because children learn and are stimulated by older and more skilled people. Most of the time this consists of parents and siblings. Vygotsky also believed in private speech, which is when someone talks to themselves, which most children do, but dont realize it. This is beneficial because it allows the child to review, decide and explain events to themselves. Finally Vygotsky also believe in scaffolding, which helps because it allows the child to master one skill at a time, rather than being overwhelmed by a whole process.

4 comments:

  1. Caiti,

    I think you did a good job of listing and explaining Vygotsky's theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as the private speaking goes, I believe many adults even do this. I know I do when I am really focusing on something or studying a subject I'm not too familiar with. Talking to yourself becomes a natural part of learning something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Destiny. I sometimes find myself using private speech when completing a task I'm not familiar with. It is just a natural part of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree about private speech. I think it is a major part of cognitive development and older people even do it.

    ReplyDelete