Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Post 7 - Alex

The way in which I teach my children how to make Brownies is an example of the process of cognition in early childhood as Vygotsky would describe it. This is because Vygotsky’s theory is based on children being an, “apprentice in thinking”. My children are learning to complete this task through guided practice, scaffolding, and private speech, all parts of Vygotsky's theory. Guided practice because we engage in conversation and physically acting out the steps. Scaffolding, because I offer them support during the process based on their individual zones of proximal development. Also, during this process I often hear my children engaging in private speech when they are trying to decide what to do next in regards to making the brownies.

2 comments:

  1. Alex,

    I think children learning how to make brownies is a great example of Vygotsky's theory. Children are guided through the process based on their own individual needs. I think this is a natural process that occurs in most children while they are learning something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,

    I think you gave a great example. I bet it is neat to be able to relate what we are learning in class to how you interact with your children. I'm sure there are many more things you do with your children that can relate to guided participation, scaffolding, and apprentiship in thinking.

    ReplyDelete