Thursday, October 22, 2009

post seven

Vygotsky believed that children are "apprentences in thinking" that they are constantly learning from adults and siblings around them. other parts of his theory are that children learn by scaffolding, which is what a child is able to do with the assistance of a skilled adult. there is also guided practice, going step by step with an adult, and there is when children talk themselves through certain activities, or other things. children are very social, and need social interaction to be able to learn and grow into functional adults.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the social interaction being an integral part of develoment. Which makes you wonder whether only children suffer from not having siblings to help develop your theory of mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you mention adults use scaffolding also to learn. Maybe children without older siblings look to others to develop their ToM. I would think that children with siblings might develop earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that considering a child's siblings is an interesting factor that might affect a child's development. I aslo agree that a child with siblings might develop ToM sooner. I think that only children rely more upon peers and friends for that social interaction than those of larger families. Which makes me wonder are the only children more susceptible to peer pressure?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I myself use scaffolding. I agree with Kathy when children are looking for their TOM they look to others.

    ReplyDelete