Friday, November 20, 2009

10 B

My parents have been married for 26 years, and I belive that if they had ever gotten a divorce, that my life would have been dramatically different. When I was a kid, my dad was an alcoholic and had a strained relationship with my mother, and with my brothers and I. Because of his drinking, he was rarely home, or he was drunk when he was the only one watching us. I hold a lot of animosity toward him for not trying to be a better dad, and often wished (privately) that my parents would separate. They have never had the strong, loving relationship (from what I have seen) that I would want from my marriage, and every day seemed to be a struggle. I think that if my parents had divorced, I wouldn't be so angry that my dad was and unfit father, maybe my brother wouldn't be an alcoholic now, and maybe my mom would have had a better life.

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you're talking about. My mother was an alcoholic for 5 years. You do feel angry and resentment until you understand the disease. It's not a cop out, they still hurt others by their actions, and it is common to become an alcoholic if you were raised in that environment. My mother has been sober for 25 yrs. but the legacy still lives on through my brother.

    ReplyDelete