Thursday, November 12, 2009

9A

I think ESL (English as a second language) is the most effective method of teaching a second language. I think this because it allows the ELL students to learn English in a non threatening way because they are learning it alongside other ELL students. Also, this is an approach where the students aren't shoved into learning a new language. They are gradually able to learn it, and I think they would feel more comfortable learning a second language this way. Overall, ELL students wouldn't feel as pressured to learn a second language, in my opinion, by using the ESL method. Also, when it is time for them to be put in a classroom with English speakers, they won't feel as intimidated because they will be ready.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that gradually learning a new language is much more comfortable than being flooded by the new language. When I was in high school, I took a spanish class where we were flooded with the language, and expected to use only spanish words while we were learning it. The teacher wouldn't even respond to our questions if we didn't try to say them in spanish. As you can guess, this was highly uneffective for me and I can't remember most of the words and phrases I was supposed to learn.

    ReplyDelete