Thursday, November 12, 2009

Post 9 B

In my opinion NCLB, though founded on good intentions, is anything but. This holds teachers up to accountability, which I agree with, but not parents or other people influencing students' lives. Parents no longer believe it is right to fail their child in anything. Teachers are afraid to because they are the only ones being held accountable. So teachers start passing students that shouldn't be because they are afraid to do other wise. Also, MAP and other tests are what is being focused on instead of how well-rounded our students can be in their learning. When I did my internship in my first semester of education, it amazed me how much emphasis was put on the MAP testing, which is too much. Overall, I think that, though teachers should be held accountable, I believe there are other factors to look at too. Teachers are trying to teach students things they are not ready to learn, so both shut down. And without the proper encouragement from parents, administrators, and the school board, this problem cannot be changed.

3 comments:

  1. i totally agree. going into teaching myself im really nervous. i do expect to held accountable for how well my students are doing. however there are more people responsible for the education of a child that a teacher. there are some parents out there that just want to blame the education system when their child does not do well in school instead finding out what they can do to help their child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that too much emphasis is put on MAP testing. There's so much focus put on learning things that students will be tested over on the MAP test that sometimes certain topics/subjects get ignored or not taught to the extent that they should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree MAP testing has been made too important in the education system. I always felt pressured and rushed when taking these tests and not being a good test taker added more pressure and lessened my confidence.

    ReplyDelete