Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Post 8 - Alex

Based on the information I read in the class text, I would not advocate parents testing their child’s IQ with a self administered IQ test such as Children’s IQ and Achievement Tests. First of all, I would have to question the validity of a test not administered by a trained professional. Secondly, I would have to question whether or not the results, regardless of who administered the test, are a true measure of intelligence. This is because I agree with the texts assessment that an IQ test is not a true measure of overall intelligence. IQ tests are deficient in assessing intelligence because they are culturally bias, do not measure multiple intelligences, and cannot predict potential intellectual changes over a lifespan. Furthermore, the results of an IQ test are likely to be misused. If the result of the parent facilitated exam is low, they are apt to manifest in the parents having low expectations of the child. The reverse is also true, in that unrealistically high expectations may be placed on a child with a high IQ score. Overall, I do believe there is a place for IQ testing as long as the test is only a small part of a larger, more comprehensive, aptitude assessment. Additionally, all of those assessments should be administered and interpreted by a trained professional, in a controlled environment.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that IQ test should not be used on children. You made a good point by saying that your IQ does not determind your overall intelligence. Some people may score low on an IQ test but be very intelligent. I think if someone wants to take them as a adult fine, but children are under enough pressure in school and an IQ test would just add to that pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with you. I know that the people scoring the test have to take a class, but I still do not believe that it is a true test of intelligence. It would be fun to take one, but I do not think people should think to much into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that an IQ test is not a true measure of overall intelligence. I think you make a good point of saying that IQ tests cannot predict intelligence changes over a lifespan. I believe that IQ tests should only be administered by trained professionals and not parents.

    ReplyDelete