Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Post 8

(b) I do not agree with Children's IQ and Achievement Test, especially if they are administered by the schools. I think it should be an individual choice if parents want to allow their children to take these test at home. I personally would not give a child an IQ test because they may give unrealistic expectations of a child with a high IQ or allow parents or teachers to give up on a child with a low IQ. IQ test are also going to put those children with higher IQ on a pedestal. Teachers will be more likely to give them more attention and praise them more. Whether they mean to or not, they may look down on the children with the lower IQ. Parents may use their children's low IQ as a crutch for while their children are not doing well in school, rather than be creative and finding new ways to teach their children. I think if an IQ test we used just for "fun" then that would be fine, but the likelihood of parents and teachers not making judgements on a child based on their IQ is high unlikely, therefore do not need be used on children.

Kelly

4 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    I really like your post. I think you did a good job of supporting your position and have very valid points. I share most of your opinions regarding IQ testing. You might find it interesting that at my daughter's school they actualy give IQ tests to children that seem to be on the low end of the intellegence scale, as well as children on the high end. My daughter's best friend just had to go through IQ testing because her performanace at school indicated she may need additional/harder work than what is considered normal for her grade level. Her IQ score was used to justify placing her in a gifted program. I don't understand why a school needs a number and cannot just provide a studnet with more challenging work based on their overall performance. I would suspect it has to do with government funding provided for gifted and mentally challenged studnets. Again, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that IQ tests should be a choice by the parents and the students because if you don't want your kids exposed to it then they shouldn't be. But I also think that making them just for fun wouldn't harm anything because then they know that it doesn't really matter and there is less pressure put on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IQ test should be a choice for parents, but it could also be fun for the student as long as they know not to get to wrapped up in it. The need to know that the score is somewhat bias (I think). Even though they go to a class it is what they think it should be. That is true you do have to worry what teachers might think of a child with a low score, but hopefully they would want to help not just let him or her slide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your outlook on giving the IQ test out of curosity or "just for fun" but I also agree that parents and teacher will not be able to not take is seriously

    ReplyDelete