Friday, September 4, 2009

Post 2 part A

I have one younger brother who is 2 yrs younger than I am. We are VERY different people in pretty much every aspect. He is very tall and extremely skinny. He looks just like a younger version of our dad where as I look like the younger version of our mom. He has never been a horrible kid but my parents have had discipline problems. He started smoking when he was 16 and was starting to fall into a bad crowd. He is very intelligent but has no motivation to do well. Now he has dropped out of high school & hasn't yet passed his GED. I am the complete opposite in that I was valedictorian and feel that grades are very important. I have also never been in hardly any trouble for anything.
I believe these differences are because of the ways my parents raised me. I was very spoiled by my grandparents so my parents tried to make it up to my brother by being overly lenient with discipline. Still to this day he has practically no curfew or rules and isn't required to do anything. They never expected him to get good grades, or even decent ones. Although he is very capable of becoming a great artist, they have failed to give him any reason to try in school so that he can make something of himself. With me they would give me a lecture if I got a B and they would have never let me out of the house if they had found me doing something like smoking.

1 comment:

  1. I have a little brother who is 5 years younger than me and he gets away with EVERYTHING. I remember my parents being very strict with me in highschool...no dating, parties, friends at the house, being out late, etc. but it seems like my little bro gets to do all of that. This seems really common.

    ReplyDelete