Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Post 3

The best thing we can do to convince pregnant women to not smoke or drink is to educate them on its dangers. I think health-care provides and insurance companies can play a big role in their education. If a pregnant women is having trouble with smoking or alcohol the insurance company could provide classes or counseling on quiting. This could actually save the insurance company money, because if the baby is born with abnormalities because of the mother's irresonsibility the insurance company will have to pay for the child's extra care. As a mother myself I remember when I was pregnant getting hundreds of brochures and magazines about pregnancy and all this risk and health issues that can happen. I think the doctor's need to take extra time explaining to mothers who still smoke or drink, that they have to stop or there baby could have serious health issues. It is disgusting to me to see how irresponsible some women are with their babies health, but we have to focus on getting the mother educated to help their baby.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that they do need some help from the insurance companies. I think it would help because then the babies would be born normally and in turn save insurance companies money. It is good that you receive brochures when you were pregnant, but I do not think that is going to hit everyone. I think people say well if I do not do it that much it will be ok. They need to be shown that even a little can hurt the baby. I just hope that people will see that it is not a good idea to drink or smoke while pregnant.

    ReplyDelete