Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Post 3

I think that health care provides need to do somethings to make sure that women stop smoking and drinking while they are pregnant. The health care providers need to show videos, pictures, etc. of what happens to your child when you do smoke and/or drink. They need to be real life videos or pictures, not just the drawings that we sometimes see in books. If women see these I think it would make them not want to harm their child. I know that while I was in elementary school every year for 3 years this RV/bus type thing came to school and showed us what would happen to our lungs if we smoked and they had real pictures and video things that showed it getting worse til they had cancer. They also did this with alcohol and the liver. This honestly made me never want to smoke because I didnt want me lung to look black and gross. Also I think that insurance companies need to not cover the pregnant women who smoke or drink. I believe they should cover them but not the things due to the smoking or drinking. They should also have some programs that help pregnant women get off smoking and drinking at the beginning of their pregnancy and maybe throughout the whole pregnancy to make sure they do not fall back into the habits again.

3 comments:

  1. Samantha,

    Insurance companies should not covering pregnant women who smoke or drink during pregnancy is good idea, but it would have some serious problems. People of course would be upset that their coverage got dropped and would probably just make things worse. The women would probably continue smoking or drinking and would stop visiting their doctors since they couldn't afford this. So I know the women did a wake up call, but we can't put the baby in even more risk by just dropping their insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samantha,
    I agree that having programs to help pregnant women quit smoking and drinking is a great idea. It could be that a lot of them want to quit, but they simply need help and support. I think this could work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree health care workers and administration should truely stress the issues and risks that can come along with drinking and smoking while pregnant.

    ReplyDelete