Thursday, September 24, 2009

Post 4

I would inform my friend about sleep and sensitive periods in their infant's development. I would tell them that their infant, as a newborn, needs 17 hours of sleep a day. Sleep is important for replenishing neurotransmitters, and it also helps the brain to mature. Sleep also builds up the child's immne and cardiovascular systems to keep them healthy. If a child does not have sleep, he could get sick, be irritable, and could have problems with his motor functioning. I would also inform the mother about sensitive periods. I would tell her that she needs to make sure the child's vision and hearing are developing in the time frame they are supposed to. I would tell her to be watchful to be sure these things are developing because if they don't develop in a certain time frame, the odds of these things developing correctly are low. I chose these two pieces of advice because I think they are very critical, and I also think they may be things a new mother is not aware of.

3 comments:

  1. I also agree that you should tell her about sleep and all the reasos it is so important that a child gets all 17 hours a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'd be a good idea to let new parents know about the sensitive periods of a child's development. If they pass up opportunities to enhance their child it could have serious repercussions

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is a good idea to inform a new mother about how important it is for a newborn to sleep. If they are not aware of it they may get their baby up too much to show him/her off or wanting to see his/her reaction to differenct stimulus.

    ReplyDelete