Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Post 5 - Alex

I do not think Piaget would advocate holding flash cards of words in front of an infant to teach language. This is because according to Piaget’s Theory, infants construct an understanding of the world by coordinating sensory experiences w/ physical ones. Showing an infant flash cards is not a sensory experience. Based on the information we learned in class on Tuesday, about language development, I wouldn’t advocate it either. I think the parent’s time with the infant would be more wisely spent speaking slowly in a high pitched voice, exaggerating facial expressions while talking, and saying the name of an object when the infant touches it.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you siad about parents speaking slowly in a high ptiched voice, but if they held up the flashcards and still did that maybe the infant would start to recognize it fast then other children who their parents just speak to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree also with speaking with children with a high pitched voice, etc... Reading to your child is the best way to introduce language I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also will agree with the slow, high pitched voice strategy, but i really believe that reading to your child at such a young age is not going to help them grasp the concept of language. i think it needs to be direct interaction of parent and child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, but I also think that flashcards could be helpful.

    ReplyDelete